10 Ways to Establish Trust with Your Audience

Before I learned about what marketing really is, I always felt kind of ‘icky’ about it. To me, as an entrepreneur with absolutely no experience in marketing myself or my business, the idea of applying marketing strategies felt spammy and pushy. It meant trying to convince people to buy things they really didn’t need. It was inauthentic at best, unethical at worst.

But that’s where I was very wrong.

I soon realized that the only way to reach clients was to talk to them about their needs and how I could help. Wait, is that marketing? Sure is!

The truth is that marketing is simply establishing an authentic trust with your audience. By providing real value to them for free, you’ll start to develop a relationship with your future clients.

Your clients are being hit by a million options, but here’s the truth: they want to do business with someone they know and like.

Here are 10 free ways to develop trust with your audience.

Talk to 1 person

When writing any copy for your website, products or services, always imagine you’re talking to ONE person. This keeps your writing consistent and authentic. Sit down and brainstorm about your ideal client. Go beyond her age and location.

What does she do for fun? What inspires her? What scares her?  The more specific you can be, the better your writing will be!


Tell stories

When writing and talking with your audience, don’t be afraid to tell stories. Tell stories about why you went into business, why you’re passionate about your products and why you want to help others. Showing your personality and love is what your readers will remember.


Start a newsletter

If your website does not give visitors a chance to leave their email addresses, stop reading this immediately and set that up!  A consistent email newsletter gives your audience a chance to get to know you. It’s your opportunity to give away amazing content, establish a relationship and then offer your products.

 

Follow the 80/20 rule

If you want to clean up your diet, a nutritionist would most likely recommend eating whole, clean foods 80 percent of the time and more indulgent foods 20 percent of the time. The same goes for marketing. Strive to give away valuable, free content 80 percent of the time. When you do this, your audience won’t mind when you pitch your products and services the other 20 percent of the time.


Live Video

Consumers today, especially millennial buyers, don’t want traditional advertising strategies. They don’t want scripted commercials. We crave real human connections, and live video is a perfect way to connect. Making yourself available on a regular basis gives your audience a chance to get to know you and ask questions in real time.

Read 5 more ways to establish trust with your audience inside HER Magazine. Access February’s issue by downloading our magazine in iTunes or Google Play.

Comments

More from Caroline Madormo

Why Decluttering Your Home Could Help Your Business

As I write this article, I am sitting in the middle of...
Read More