As CEO & founder of a full-service talent consulting firm in Los Angeles and New York, it is my job to know about what’s going on in the world. Every day, I need to be informed about newsworthy topics, people, and trends that will shape culture in the coming months, and understand the different perspectives out there.
Which is why I’ve put together a list of some of my favorites, just for you. Thank goodness for podcasts, am I right? These snackable, on-the-go episodes keep me connected and informed while remaining untethered — sometimes in just twenty minutes! There is a podcast (or six) on every topic (literally!), which means there are all kinds of shows out there that fuel your mind, soul, and business. In fact, it can even feel overwhelming to know where to start — to sort through the sheer number of options. Yes, it is my job, but I also know that thirst for knowledge is ingrained in all entrepreneurs. We wouldn’t have left our previous paths to evolve our passions and ideas into realities without the yearning for growth. I don’t know about you, but I want the tools to help me be the best leader, business owner, and innovator I can.
They range from business and leadership-minded to inspirational and silly; a well-rounded mix. So sit back, grab your earbuds on the way to your next meeting, and take some time to learn, laugh, and expand your wealth of knowledge.
1) Oprah SuperSoul Conversations: I mean, one word: Oprah. Need I say more? This woman embodies inspiration and motivation, and this podcast brings her right into your home as you get ready to start your week. Whether you want to just feel good, or maybe absorb her fabulous enlightenment, give this one a go. After listening, I find myself with a lighter heart and sounder mind — allowing me to really focus on the big picture.
2) The Daily (from The New York Times): Most days I am going non-stop, and I need a quick catch up on the news headlines of the day. Enter this perfect snipped of a podcast. Already my go-to news outlet, The Daily from The New York Times breaks down what’s happening across the world in an easy, understandable way. The best part? It’s only 20 minutes, every weekday! This is the perfect way to keep “in-the-know” while not sending you down the giant rabbit hole that is the internet.
3) Gamechangers: A Mastermind for Creative Entrepreneurs: I love this podcast because I get to learn about different industries and the incredible creative minds that are at the forefront of each one. Each week you get a deep-dive into the minds and businesses of these inspiring entrepreneurs. As a business owner myself, it is so refreshing to hear that — regardless of industry — we all have similar dreams, struggles, and thoughts.
4) Gaby Dunn — Bad With Money: I love this podcast because it’s very real and open conversations on all aspects of money, business and finance. She makes all the tough, unreachable topics seem relatable, and breaks down big concepts into understandable ones. You’ll feel smarter, and you’ll appreciate how relatable the host and topics are.
5) The GaryVee Audio Experience: I love listening to Gary’s advice. He is a brilliant CEO, investor, vlogger and public speaker. And this guy does not give a f***k. Each episode focuses on something completely different: from Instagram strategies to a conversation with someone who asked a question at one of his speaking engagements, he is truly one-of-a-kind.
6) Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard: Dax Shepard might be one of my favorite guys in Hollywood. He’s funny, charming, smart, and real. I’m obsessed. His amazing interviews with various celebs and comedians are informative, entertaining, and raw — because he doesn’t just focus on success, but wants to dig into struggles and shortcomings. He keeps it real, which makes these interviews completely refreshing (Kristen Bell is one lucky lady).
7) Cultivated Conversations: This podcast is a place where you hear incredible stories from bada** women in life and business. You learn about career, life story, triumphs and struggles — and it’s all raw, honest and vulnerable. This podcast was born from a #wcw series on my company’s Instagram. There was overwhelming positive feedback that people wanted to hear more — they were motivated and inspired by these women. We all have a story to tell, and no doubt you will learn something from each of these guests. I am so fortunate to be able to have these conversations with these incredible women. Enjoy — and let me know what you think!!
Jen Proctor is Founder & CEO of Cultivated Entertainment, a full-service talent consulting firm that connects entertainment entities and brands with talent across campaigns, media, events, and more. Prior to launching CE, her career in talent development and booking spanned from TV network to talent agencies to cable talk shows to production companies.